EDUC 5313: Week 1

     I never anticipated becoming an educator: I obtained a degree in Interior Architecture and intended to always work in creative fields. After starting what I thought would be a temporary job in my son’s school I fell in love with education and am now working towards my teaching certification. My goal is to teach English as a Second Language—with the ultimate goal to move abroad and teach English there. 

     

    Oklahoma Academic Standards for English Language Arts standard 7.5.W.1 and 7.8.W have students write using proper writing rules in shorter time frames while varying their “modes of expression.” (Oklahoma State Department of Education, 2016). The ISTE standard Knowledge Constructor 3d states “Students build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions (ISTE,2016).

     To help develop student’s writing skills in a 7th grade Language Arts class they will write a Letter to the Editor. Using an online newspaper, students will choose an article published within the past week. Using an open-ended question like “What do you think of what is being reported in this article?” students will evaluate the topic and do any necessary research using appropriate resources and decide if they will be sharing their opinion on the article/topic, criticizing the article, or praising it. Once they have developed their ideas, they will then write their Letter to the Editor and proof-read and edit it to ensure that all grammar, spelling, mechanics, etc. are correct. They will then email their letter to the publication.

     This activity is based upon the idea from the Kolb text that talks about how the technology tools used should benefit the students’ everyday lives, not just academic ones (Kolb, 2020, p.22). Since email is a major mode of communication used in the modern world, having middle school students become familiar with the format and procedures for sending emails will help them with life, not just with their Letter to the Editor. Regarding real life application of lessons, Kolb (2020) states “Designing the learning activity to be as authentic as possible supports understanding how to use soft skills to solve real problems or gather knowledge” (p.27). The hope with this activity is that the students will see the value in communicating this way and apply what they learn to how they communicate outside of school. Also, having them evaluate a news article and do additional research before forming their opinion will help them learn to synthesize information throughout their life. This is something that is done in every research project, but by using a news article (something they may already be familiar with outside of school) on something that is very current (within a week of their research) they will hopefully make connections between what they do in school and what they can do outside of school.

     Another thing discussed in the Kolb text was the benefits of project-based learning, so incorporating this into the lesson will help them create, not just consume (Kolb, 2020, p.12). In the Gura text on creativity, the author interviewed Melinda Kolk and she said “ So giving kids something open-ended, an idea for a potential investigation, that doesn’t have an obvious right answer—that’s the sort of thing that we need to offer more of” (2016 , p.19). This activity is designed for the students to use their critical thinking skills to form an opinion about a topic and to communicate their thoughts in a coherent, concise manner (Letters to the Editor typically have a strict word limit) without the pressure of trying to find the usual “right answer.”

 

References:

Gura, M. (2016). Make, Learn, Succeed: Building a Culture of Creativity in Your School. International Society for Technology in Education.

Kolb, L. (2020). Learning First, Technology Second in Practice. International Society for Technology in Education.

 


Comments

  1. Hey Jacqueline! I love your story about how you unintentionally fell in love with education, for there are so many ways for you to be creative within this field! I hope that you can use some of your interior architecture background in your classes, for I'm sure your students would be so intrigued by that topic. Furthermore, I think that this letter to the editor idea is phenomenal for the age range you are teaching! It is a perfect way to combine your class content with a real life situation to where they can test their skills, thus benefiting their every day lives. It's crazy for me to wrap my head around how fast technology has developed when you look at the grand scheme of things, for there wasn't even a computer around to even send an email when I was in 7th grade in my school! Keep up the good work, and I hope you are staying safe in these crazy times.
    -Timothy Chucta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! I've found plenty of uses for my degree that have nothing to do with architecture so I consider that a win in my book! And I'm right there with you, I feel old a lot at school when I see what kind of technology these kids use (at such young ages too).

      Delete
  2. Jacqueline,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. My degree is in advertising so I can relate to starting your teaching career after having worked in a different field. I’m currently teaching abroad in South Korea and have also taught in Spain. Please feel free to reach out to me if you’d like any information on teaching opportunities there or in any other countries (I’ve done a ton of research and interviews for jobs in various countries).

    In regards to the application of the ISTE standard to the Oklahoma standard you mentioned, I think writing an email to the editor of a newspaper is a great idea. It is a good way to have students begin using critical thinking skills to evaluate whether or not they agree with what is being presented to them in the article. Conveying these sentiments in a well written email is another great way to challenge them to formulate well thought out responses in a professional manner. I can recall having to complete an assignment similar to this in middle school except we had to craft a handwritten note and mail it to the author of our favorite book.

    Also if you’d like to be partners for the audio assignment coming up, feel free to email me :-) toniCbenn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I'm not sure if it's the case for you, but I'm finding that my background (though not education-based) comes in handy in school.

      I will definitely reach out when it's time to interview overseas, thank you for offering! It's still at least a couple years until I'm to that point, but I'm trying to lay the foundation to make it happen.

      I love that you wrote a letter to an author in school: I'm going to have to file that away for the future. I think it might be more personally fulfilling that a letter to the editor.

      And I would love to be partners! I will shoot you an email asap.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jacqueline! Reading your story about how you became a teacher is really inspiring. Teaching is our superpower, and I would like to express my gratitude for helping make this world a better place.

    I have to say that I find your learning activity very engaging, real-life related, and most importantly, contextualized with the needs of the 21st century learners. We, as teachers, sometimes fail in our educational work since we feel satisfied with what students do and demonstrate in the classroom. In this regard, I definitely believe that we should be asking our kids for more, and not underestimating their ability to perform in real life situations and contexts. Another aspect that I love about your activity is that it promotes the use of out-of-school literacy practices (reading a newspaper and writing a formal email), which in many cases are marginalized and not taken into consideration. I consider that our literacy instruction should be more focused on using these type of practices to promote reading and writing, since those are the type of texts that our students encounter nowadays in their daily lives.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas. It's a really good blog.

    Bests,

    Mauricio Viloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mauricio! I think it's easy for us as teachers to get caught up in the requirements we (and our students) have to fulfill in school. But since the ultimate goal is to help mold good citizens I appreciated the reminder in the reading that the fruits of our labors are manifested outside of the school building.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EDUC 5313: Week 2

EDUC 5313: Week 5